What is Stock Screening?
In the market, stock screening is the process of reducing the universe of all possible stocks to a few stocks that match the criteria of an investment strategy. It combines screens, data, and screeners.
We bother because it reduces the size of the problem we are trying to solve. It is simpler to analyze a few stocks than every possible stock. This alone should be reason enough to learn the process.
Professionals bother because it is how they find stocks.
You should bother because it allows you to identify your sweet spot in the market. It is the most efficient way to find stocks with the characteristics that matter to you.
Helping you to find your investing sweet spot is what this site is all about.
Don't confuse Screening and Screeners
Screening is a process; stock screeners are tools. It
is easy enough to find a free stock screener and run some of the canned screens. But if you don’t understand the underlying strategy, this type of screening is no better than a hot market tip.
To find your personal sweet spot in the market you need to consider more than just the tools. You need to consider the entire process. It takes some time and some planning but there can be big dividends – emotional as well as financial.
I challenge you to dig a little deeper and learn stock screening and how to really use a screener.
Bake an investment cake
The secret is that there is no secret.
In some ways, screening for stocks is like baking a cake.
- A recipe (strategy)
- Ingredients (data)
- Tools (screener)
Your personal approach results in picking an investment strategy that reflects what you care about - like picking a recipe for your favorite cake.
Before you sort through the recipes though, you should review some underlying issues such as investment basics, personal considerations and performance expectations.
Once you have reviewed the underlying issues, begin with investing styles. Each described style includes one or more investing strategies to illustrate the approach and some recommended reading for a more in-depth evaluation. The result will be a personal stock investment strategy.
Finalizing your strategy will also define your data requirements. The data you need may limit which tools you can use.
Then pick a screener. The best stock screener for you will need to meet both your personal investing criteria and your budget.
Even if you are new to investing and trading, the information
on this site should be a starting point for developing a style that works for you.
There is no way I can or will provide investment or trading advice. Tools and how to use them, yes; how to invest, no.
If you have any questions (or corrections) or comments on topics related to this site please contact me.
- Stock Screening 101 | Contact Us
- Stock Screening 101 contact form to send questions, comments or suggestions about the site.
- Investing Basics | Asset Allocation
- Asset allocation is a key component of financial stability and wealth creation. Learn more about this investing basics topic.
- Discount Stock Brokers
- Online discount stock brokers are the obvious choice if you are doing your own analysis and stock selection. Consider the tools and services offered by discount broker when deciding the best for you.
- Folio Investing - A Unique Discount Broker
- Folio Investing (aka FolioFN) satisfies one of the core needs of investment strategy development - forward testing with skin in the game. If you are tired of paper trading, check them out.
- Discount Broker Rating | A Reflection Of Quality
- A discount broker rating is subjective in some respects, but combined with commission schedules, tools, and services, it can help sort the wheat from the chaff and identify the best discount brokers.
- Investing Basics | Holding Period
- Although holding period is often a topic of hot debate, it is not a core issue. Knowing when to exit is. Learn how to avoid buy and forget.
- Investing Basics - Caution: Check Water Depth Before Diving In
- Stock investing basics cover more than investing style. Considering these other questions can influence both your investing style and your investing strategy.
- The Best Books On Investing - Our Take At Stock Screening 101
- Not just a bibliography or list of books on investing, a book review is included as well. You may not agree with the conclusions drawn by the book authors, but you should be aware of the ideas.
- StockScreening101 Investing Glossary
- An investing glossary to get all of us on the same page.
- Investment Newsletters Worth Reading
- Most of what passes for investment newsletters involves buying/selling advice. Get beyond that and improve your understanding of behavioral finance and an understanding of the markets.
- Stock Screeners - What Features To Look For
- Not all the features of stock screeners are critical. Learn what features you must have and what features are nice to have.
- Brokerage Stock Screeners | Screen Where You Trade
- Brokerage stock screeners offer online access to screening tools and are often packaged with extensive investment support. Before you look elsewhere for a screener, consider a discount broker.
- Free Stock Screeners Evaluated
- Free stock screeners offer online access to software screening tools and are often packaged with extensive investment support. Before you pay for a screener, consider one of these.
- CNBC Stock Screener Evaluation
- The CNBC stock screener is an excellent choice for a stock screening tool. With the demise of the MSN Deluxe screener, this may be one of the best of the free stock screeners.
- FinViz Stock Screener Evaluation
- The FinViz stock screener is part of a financial site that features visualization of data. Find out how this free stock screener rates on implementing investing strategies.
- MSN Stock Screener Update
- The Deluxe version of the MSN stock screener was retired November 4, 2009 according to the announcement. Consider one of these free stock screeners as a replacement.
- Portfolio123 Free Stock Screener Evaluation
- If you are looking for a free stock screener with extensive data, logic, technical analysis, and backtesting capability, Portfolio123 may be the best free screener for you.
- Yahoo Stock Screener Evaluation - html Version
- The Yahoo stock screener is part of the extensive Yahoo Finance package. This free html based screener does not require Yahoo Finance registration.
- Yahoo Stock Screener Evaluation - java Version
- The java Yahoo stock screener appears to have been dropped by Yahoo Finance. It was a compelling choice for implementing investing strategies and will be missed.
- Morningstar Premium Stock Screener Evaluation
- Morningstar includes a robust stock screener in their premium package in addition to their mutual fund screener. It is missing some advanced features, but comes with the Morningstar ratings system.
- SmartMoney.com Stock Screener Evaluation
- The stock screener from SmartMoney is available for minimal cost. It is missing some advanced features, but it has fundamental data available nowhere else. It may be the best choice for you.
- The Portfolio123 Stock Screener Evaluation
- Portfolio123 has extensive data, logic, and technical analysis capabilities as well as backtesting, multi-factor ranking and simulation. A scaled-down free version is also available.
- Stock Investor Pro Evaluation
- Stock Investor Pro is both a powerful stock screener and an investor education goldmine. Learn why we consider this feature rich tool the best stock screener available.
- StockScreen123 Stock Screener Evaluation
- StockScreen123 has extensive data, logic, back-testing and technical analysis capabilities, is as good as it gets at this price. It was merged with Portfolio123 in March 2013.
- Stock Ranking Systems | Separating The Sheep From The Goats
- Stock ranking systems are used to order a universe of stocks with the expectation that higher ranked stocks will outperform lower ranked stocks.
- Choose Investing Strategies With Published Rules And Expectations
- Choosing investing strategies with published rules and historical performance is the way to free yourself from dependence on proprietary newsletters and advice. Learn how.
- CANSLIM - A Growth Stock Investing Strategy
- CANSLIM is an acronym used by William O’Neil to highlight characteristics of the growth investing strategy he developed. Learn about the strategy and how to use stock screening to identify candidates.
- Dogs Of The Dow – When Only The Best Will Do
- Perhaps the most well known stock screen is the Dogs of the Dow - a blue chip value strategy with documented historical results. Learn about the Dogs and find the best free stock screeners.
- Piotroski Value Investing Strategy
- Joseph Piotroski’s value investing strategy is a unique approach to Price-to-Book investing and may lead to improved performance in other investing strategies.
- Tiny Titans | A Micro Cap Investing Strategy
- Tiny Titans looks for cheap stocks on the mend. If you don’t have access to stock screening software, free online stock screeners will work fine. Learn the strategy and how to set up the screeners.
- Stock Market Analysis – How To Eat An Elephant
- Stock market analysis can be overwhelming. Learn how to segment the problem using several approaches.
- Timing The Market – Time To Step Aside?
- Mom warned me to avoid discussing politics and religion. Timing the market should have been on her list. Check this discussion of market timing and timing systems.
- Economic Indicators – Looking At The Big Picture
- Economic Indicators may not be the most exciting or the most exact tool for analysis of the stock market, but they are useful to gauge the state of the economy and forecast market direction.
- Stock Market Cycles - Timing The Market With Seasonality
- Using seasonal stock market cycles for timing the market are credited to Yale Hirsch. Do they work?
- StockScreening101.com Site Policies
- Site Policies
- About Me | Stock Screening 101 Investing Process Development
- About me, and the rationale for a consistent, sustainable investing process.
- A Site Build It Website | You Online
- Site Build It, GoDaddy and others offer plans to get you online. If you have expertise you are willing to share online, it may be simpler than you think.